Friday, October 15, 2010
Ready or not, here he . . .
. . . hasn't come yet.
Father-in-law came for a while. He did gazillions of honey-dos while watching me closely, sure he would come at any moment. He didn't.
Dad came for the weekend and we walked the neighborhoods over and over, got excited over extremely irregular contractions, went to Carraba's for the famous labor-inducing dish. He left disappointed.
Isaac prayed over Sunday dinner, asking Heavenly Father to make Mommy start having contractions in the next thirteen minutes. Nothing happened.
Last week and the week before I carried my birthing bag around with me everywhere, just in case. To the temple, stake conference, had it packed up every night before I went to bed. Now its contents are strewn around the house, the house that reached a reasonable level of order so that I felt ready, more or less. Now it's a mess.
Mom came three days before the due date. She watched me, walked with me, shopped with me, ate ice cream with me, helped me primp for a maternity photo shoot (which I was sure I'd never have to go through with), and took me to get a pedicure. This morning I sent her on a train to Dallas to see Amy do her flutterby-butterfly thing and the giant baby Reed. At least there's a baby there to cuddle.
I've never gone past my due date. This is new territory, and it's sorta scary. Is it me? Am I standing in the way somehow? Does this have to do with faith? readiness? worthiness?
The slightly crunchy doctor suggested at my appointment today that I go see my acupuncturist ("You have one, don't you?") and try to get a break from my responsibilities (sideways glance at Graham) for a while and relax.
Relax. Breathe.
The trouble is that I don't think I'll ever feel 100% ready. Did I with the others? I can't remember.
I do believe the mind and spirit have great power over the body. But I wish my body would take over and just push this baby out. Then maybe my doubting mind and spirit could just rise to the occasion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck! Let me know if there's anything we can do for your family!
ReplyDeleteI'll pray he comes out soon! I know how you feel, just hang in there!
ReplyDeleteGood luck. I sure hope going over it's an indication of lack of faith or my entire family is in SERIOUS trouble. Hope he gets here soon!
ReplyDeleteBet you have a baby out NOW! Pictures soon, please! *HUGS*
ReplyDeleteYour post made me laugh because it was so like my Natalie's birth! All my kids came 1-3 weeks early, so I was sure on my fourth that she would come at least in the 1-2 weeks early stretch . . . so I told EVERYONE she was coming, Mike had everyone at work on call, etc. and she waited, and waited, and waited some more. We were moving three weeks after my due date, but I was sure the baby would be at least a month old by then . . . but she wasn't. When my mom finally arrived on my due date, I couldn't take it any longer and knew that my "help" time was expiring so I went ahead and had her induced. Can't believe she was LATE!! Just goes to show you cannot plan babies . . . Hope you are enjoying your new little boy!
ReplyDelete