Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Boys, Boys, Boys
Though I am not a Twilight fan, I'm intrigued by the phenomenon. I've read the first book and listened to many friends talk at length, squeal with delight, and even decorate their homes with Twilight. Lots of people I know feel groggy today because they stayed up all night to be one of the first ones to see the new movie.
Stephenie Meyer intrigues me. First of all, she's a BYU graduate in English (like me) and she has three little boys (like me). She loves her (mostly female) fans, can't get enough of them, and says one of the saddest days of her life was when she moved out of her apartment full of girls to live with her husband, who happens to be nicknamed "Pancho." So is it any wonder that she would write such girly books? I will make no comment here about what I think about said books, but I do wonder what being the only woman in this family full of boys (did I mention they tell us our new baby is a boy?) might drive me to do.
Here's to hoping I seek other outlets (sorry, Twilight fans, but my writing aspirations don't include vampire books). Oddly enough, I've been into sewing lately (which I've always HATED) and I find myself smiling wistfully at and cozying up more to the little girls in my life. A friend told me that her mother-in-law who had all boys told her that they had been praying for their future daughters-in-law for years and years. Maybe I could expend some of that girl-longing energy with such praying. The most frightening outlet I can think of would be pro-creating over and over from now in hopes of finally getting that girl! With my luck, it would take twenty tries. Must think of other ways to connect with girls. . .
No, I'm afraid I just need to learn to love my boys and be happy with what I've got. Four missionaries, eight smelly gym shoes, four hungry and loud mouths, four kids who are in love with their mom, four daughters-in-law someday.
Stephenie Meyer intrigues me. First of all, she's a BYU graduate in English (like me) and she has three little boys (like me). She loves her (mostly female) fans, can't get enough of them, and says one of the saddest days of her life was when she moved out of her apartment full of girls to live with her husband, who happens to be nicknamed "Pancho." So is it any wonder that she would write such girly books? I will make no comment here about what I think about said books, but I do wonder what being the only woman in this family full of boys (did I mention they tell us our new baby is a boy?) might drive me to do.
Here's to hoping I seek other outlets (sorry, Twilight fans, but my writing aspirations don't include vampire books). Oddly enough, I've been into sewing lately (which I've always HATED) and I find myself smiling wistfully at and cozying up more to the little girls in my life. A friend told me that her mother-in-law who had all boys told her that they had been praying for their future daughters-in-law for years and years. Maybe I could expend some of that girl-longing energy with such praying. The most frightening outlet I can think of would be pro-creating over and over from now in hopes of finally getting that girl! With my luck, it would take twenty tries. Must think of other ways to connect with girls. . .
No, I'm afraid I just need to learn to love my boys and be happy with what I've got. Four missionaries, eight smelly gym shoes, four hungry and loud mouths, four kids who are in love with their mom, four daughters-in-law someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
my mother-in-law is a mother of 4 boys. she loves her boys so much i think a girl would have gotten the shaft. i can specifically remember on my wedding day when my MIL came up to me crying and said "i am so sad i am not going to be aarons number one girl anymore" i thought it was kinda weird (i dont have brothers) but the relationship between a mother and son(s) is so unique i dont think its anything like a mom and daughter - there is too much estrogen involved.
ReplyDeleteand think of all that amazing Priesthood power your home will have as they grow...
ReplyDelete