Thursday, March 05, 2009

Buy 1 Week of Food

MARCH GOAL: GET ONE WEEK OF FOOD
So set a goal for yourself this month to get one full week of food storage for your family. We are going to work on this every month until June, and then we’ll have it done!

ALREADY GOT IT?
You might have a lot of long-term storage, but there may be short-term items you could add to your food storage to to make meals for your family that would make everyone happy. For my family, that means that I need to have some extra fruit snacks, cheese, and macaroni and cheese in our pantry. A few bags of chips and cookies can’t hurt either! Be sure to consider what you would do if you couldn’t go to the store every week for perishable items like milk, eggs, cheese, meats, bread, etc. You may have a lot of things in your freezer and refrigerator, but in some emergencies you may not have power. You need to have shelf-stable items to help you survive in these circumstances.

Also, if you feel like you’ve already got a handle on your short-term food storage, why not spend a little time or effort sharing what you know and what you have. Talk to your friends and family about how they are doing with their food storage. Make an anonymous donation of shelf-stable foods to a family you know is in need. Offer to teach someone how to make something from scratch. We are all in this together, and if we can help each other meet the goal, we will become a truly Zion people.

FOOD STORAGE IN A BOX
I have found it helpful to put one week of food in a plastic storage box. I like this idea for a few reasons:
  1. I have a visual indication of how much food we need for one week, and I know it’s done!
  2. It’s portable and convenient—I can take it with me in the car in an emergency, or pull it out on a particularly busy week. I have a menu plan, shopping list, and recipes inside the box, so it’s easy to re-do it when I use it.
  3. It keeps treats that I have stocked up on out of sight and out of mind (for the kids AND me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment