What meals have we eaten this week?
Sunday (1 guest)
Indian Food--Rajma Dal, Jeera Rice, Spicy Corn, and Raitha (Rich made it!)
Dessert: Ice Cream & Hot Fudge
Monday
Succotash Chowder, Green Salad, Bread
Dessert: Choc. Chip Cookies
Tuesday
Tacos & Taco Salad
Wednesday
Pasta with Tomato Alfredo Sauce & Green Salad with Feta, Tomato & Onion
Thursday
Yogurt Chicken Nuggets, Rice, Baby Carrots & Steamed Broccoli
Friday
Homemade Pizza
Saturday
Pinto Beans & Rice
How much food did we consume?
3 gallons of milk
1 gallon mixed dry milk
Hot cocoa mix (1/4 of a #10 can!)
1 lb. cheddar cheese
1 lb. mozzarella cheese
10 cheese sticks
6 oz. feta cheese
1.5 qts. yogurt
1 pint sour cream
1 pint half & half
1 lb. butter
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 can tomato sauce
4 lbs frozen corn
1 lb. frozen lima beans
1 lb. broccoli
1 head green leaf lettuce
1 cucumber
3 onions
4 tomatoes
2 avocados
2 potatoes
5 apples
10 bananas
5 oranges
5 lemons
chives
lemon basil
6 c. dry rice
2 lbs. pasta
3 loaves homemade wheat bread
2 homemade pizza crusts
8 tacos shells
1 box Cheez-It Crackers
1 box fruit snacks
1 lb. pinto beans
2 cans kidney beans
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. chicken
1/2 lb. slice ham
1/2 c. peanut butter
How much did that food cost?
Hmmm. . . I'm estimating about $100-$150
When I look back, I'm actually surprised that the food we actually consumed was not as much as I expected it would be. Now I know that for a 3-month supply, how much cash I'll need to spend, and about how much food I need. Next week's challenge will be to come up with a 1-week menu plan that excites me AND includes food that will last a long time on the shelf, fridge, or freezer (a tall order for this fresh-food-lovin' girl!).
Here's an inspiring quote from Bishop McMullin that reminds me that preparedness and food storage is for men and women to worry about together--I need to work together with my better half to set and accomplish our preparedness goals this year:
Inspired preparation rests on the foundation of faith in Jesus Christ, obedience, and a provident lifestyle. Members should not go to extremes, but they should begin. We call upon priesthood bearers to store sufficient so that you and your family can weather the vicissitudes of life. Please see to it that those entrusted to your watchcare . . . prepare now for rainy days ahead.Happy squirreling away!
Bishop Keith B. McMullin, “Lay Up in Store,” April 2007
No comments:
Post a Comment